The pathologizing of normal life experiences is not of benefit to the individual. It does, however, create huge revenue streams for pharmaceutical companies, HMOs, and others with their fingers in the medical treatment pie.
I will wait to see the actual volume myself, but I’m seriously considering a move to the ICD10 – an option I have that is not available to those who practice under the umbrella of American psychiatry or psychology.
- Years in the making, controversial new psychiatry ‘bible’ about to launch (globalnews.ca)
- “Mental Illness”, the DSM-5, and Dreams for a Post-Psychiatry World (madinamerica.com)
- Examine social factors to explain rise in diagnoses of mental disorders (sciencedaily.com)
- Psychiatry guide is medicine gone mad (news.com.au)
- Occupy APA in San Francisco: Joined in Spirit (madinamerica.com)